By: Elena Grace Flores
Believing that asking for forgiveness when you do others wrong is important, only meant that you value self-forgiveness to forget the negative feelings to move on. In a study conducted recently, participants with some disputes were asked the following questions:
Participants in the first study were quizzed on:
• How they forgive themselves for a real offense
• How much efforts made to apologize
• How they knew that they are forgiven
• How they perceive the value of self-forgiveness
Those participants who went out of their way to seek forgiveness are likely the ones who can easily forgive themselves for the mistakes done. The first test showed some fluctuating measurements when participants with emotional cases including partnership betrayals were questioned, so a second study was conducted that highlights the above questions hypothetically.
Generally, more guilt was experienced when the nature of the offense was higher – and it was helpful to be forgiven by others first to finally be able let self-forgiveness to happen as shown from the data of the majority.
It was also concluded that males can forgive faster than females. This is consistent with the fact that women are more emotional than men. It does help that we exert efforts in making amend because in reality, when we do the right thing, it feels that we are not anymore responsible with other people’s sufferings. It’s their choice to move forward or stay sad – allowing to forgive one’s self to take place.
This explains why people that bear most guilt are denying themselves with self-forgiveness. They tend to develop restlessness, irritation and hatred isolating them socially. Not knowing how to do the right thing will drive them to do more mistakes – making their lives miserable. Unhappiness is often the result of not being able to make amends. The Positive Psychology Journal reflects the above findings with data obtained from the 269 participants with negative situations with others and the follow up test involving 208 people who were questioned hypothetically during the studies conducted by Psychology researchers from Baylor University in Waco, TX.
- All for Bongbong Marcos: BIHOMADU in Full Gear after the President’s Meeting with RAM
- 7-M Pesos Amassed by Robredo Supporters Questioned after Supreme Court Disapproval
- Martin Bautista’s Disclosure Supports First Part of Bongbong Marcos’ Election Protest
- Filipino in Guam Scared of PI Marcos-Like Martial Law than Pyongyang’s Missile Threat
- Should Bongbong Marcos Pay HK$90,000, US$24,678.50 for Election Safekeeping Overseas?
- Not about Liza Marcos: Patricia Bautista’s Personality Changes from a Battered Wife to a Fighter
- Ombudsman Turns to Honasan as SC Bars LP from Marcos-Robredo Protest
- Bongbong Marcos on Congress Hearing: It Has Gone Beyond Political Conflict
- Bongbong Marcos: Let the Authorities Decide on Smartmatic-Bautista Election Anomaly
- Bautista’s 2016 Election Highlights: Sex, Smartmatic and Bongbong Marcos
- Politics, Liza Marcos are Just Comelec Chair’s Escape Goats for Corrupt Election Practices
- Bongbong Marcos’ Digital Election Fraud Accusation Looms as Comelec Chair’s Wife Confesses
- Binay on Indictment: Ombudsman Just Takes a Page from the Liberal Party’s Playbook
- Senator Pacquiao’s Boxing Rematch with Jeff Horn Depends on Senate Recess
- Bongbong Marcos is Confident on Revision of Election Votes after Recount
- Binay Not Surprised with the Witch Hunt of the Ombudsman to Prosecute Bongbong Marcos’ Supporters
- Congress Theater Show: Fariñas, the Villain – Imee Marcos, the Star (The Rest are Extras)
- Martial Law Justification: Bongbong Marcos Predicts Foreign Terrorist Threats in Mindanao
- Bongbong Marcos Asks Supreme Court to Start the Recount Now
- Bongbong Marcos is Ready to Accept Consequence on his Questioning the Election Integrity
- Bongbong Marcos Hands-Off to Alleged Hidden Wealth, Account PCGG said Escudero
- Enrile: Imee Marcos’ Case does not Stop in the Congress
- Supreme Court Worried that Bongbong Marcos’ Protest Affects Integrity of Entire Election
- Imee Marcos for Senator 2019 is the Aftermath of Ilocos 6 Conflict
- Enrile’s Congress Support to Imee Marcos is Symbolic for EDSA
- Imelda Marcos Alarmed on Gov. Imee’s 100 M LP Bribe to the Congress Retraction
- Bongbong Marcos on SONA: Filipinos Know the Truth from Propaganda
- Thanks to Gov. Imee Marcos’ Sacrifice, Ilocos 6 are Now Free from the Congress
- Rep. Rodolfo Fariñas Cited Gov. Imee Marcos for Contempt in the Congress
- Gov. Imee Marcos Shocked Everyone by Showing up at the Congress Probe