By: Gemma Lagasca
Healing yourself from any pain you might be experiencing is the placebo effect of positive thinking. The power of the placebo is hope. This does not happen instantly. In fact you have to teach yourself not to be negative on things. No matter how hard a situation may seem, you need to see the positive side of it. It could be a blessing in disguise to make you avoid an even worse scenario. Here are some of the benefits of positive thinking:
- It allows you to control your emotions over anything that needs your course of action.
- It keeps you away from making impulsive actions and decisions that sometimes lead to more problems and mistakes.
- It makes you attract positive people and events in your life.
- It helps you avoid being depressed.
- It makes you calm no matter what the situation may be. Panicking will only cause more harm than good.
- It makes you heal yourself and move on fast after an untoward incident in your life.
As hope is the power of positive thinking, most people conclude that positive thinking is just for religious people. This is absolutely not true although faith can lead to positive thinking. Believing that they won’t have trials more than they can handle is enough to drive away negative energies. This is tantamount to say that every problem has a given solution. All we need to do is face it and know that it will be over soon. Positive thinking is a very powerful influence in our mind and since the brain is like a magnet, whatever it conceives can be manifested.
In the medical field, a placebo is known as a pharmacologically inert substance which may produce therapeutic results because of the belief in its efficacy. There are documents online indicating that a placebo is an inactive substance or procedure, which on its own has no effect but often used as a control. A placebo effect takes place when the subject given the placebo shows similar result as the experimental substance or procedure.
Over the years, the following scientists and prominent people have these to say which are suggestive of the placebo effect of positive thinking:
- Plato’s theory of forms suggests that the material objects around us are just abstractions of the real world, and that our intellect interacts with such entities which are inherently non-physical.
- Thomas Aquinas, a Christian Philosopher said that while a soul can exist independently of the flesh, it must be a part of the human body to become a true person.
- Rene Descartes, a French Philosopher is the most known wise man with regards to his theories on mind and matter. He claimed that immaterial mind and the material body are two completely separate entities that somehow managed to interact and exert control over each other.
- German Physician, Johann Christian August Heinroth in the 19th century coined the term psychosomatic, referring to his theory that the mind can encourage both mental and physical illness.
- A French Internist and hypnotism advocated later in the 19th century, Hippolyte Bernheim that developed the Suggestion and Autosuggestion Theory describing the psyche’s influence over illness which is known today as the placebo effect.
There may be contradictions with modern medicine with regards to the theories on placebo effect of positive thinking but as long as a person shows remarkable relief from discomforts and bad condition, by just nourishing the mind with pleasant things, this is very much encouraged.
Image Source: Frequency Guru