YouTube video by Elena Grace Flores Will Church Leaders Follow the Pope’s Example and Comply with the Governor’s Call?
The Governor’s Call to Church Leaders
Cebu City Governor Gwen Garcia calls on the church leaders to apply precautionary measures to fight against the spread of coronavirus. This coincides with the WHO’s projection that if Filipinos continue to behave like as if the coronavirus pandemic will not affect them, the contamination cases will reach 75,000 in the Philippines alone. As a predominantly Catholic province, it is hard to imagine that Cebu would immediately suspend the holy mass celebrations especially on Sundays but the Archdiocese of Cebu led by Archbishop Jose Palma complies with the government’s plea to contain the spread of novel coronavirus.
The 3 Highlights of Archbishop Palma’s Press Conference
1. Even if there are cancellation of PUBLIC LITURGICAL CELEBRATIONS, the priests will still CONTINUE TO CELEBRATE MASSES WITHOUT THE PEOPLE (Missa Sine Populo). AND THE MASSES ARE ENCOURAGED TO BE AIRED ON SOCIAL MEDIA. It does not mean, “no more masses.” And this is very important that we need to know. Please share this because people might just simply say: “masses are canceled.”
2. WHAT IF THE PEOPLE DON’T HAVE ACCESS TO SOCIAL MEDIA? Answer: PRAY MORE FERVENTLY AND DO NOT FEEL GUILTY SINCE WE ARE DEALING WITH A MORAL IMPOSSIBILITY.
3. THE DECISION OF THE ARCHBISHOP COMES FROM THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF HEALTH EXPERTS AND THE GOVERNMENT. THEY HAVE GIVEN VERY STRONG GROUNDS. Understanding Dr. Bryan Albert Lim (from Microbiology and Infectious Diseases), he said that the best way to contain the virus – for now – is through social distancing and proper hygiene.
Quik to Respond Parishes
The Our Lady of Lourdes Parish is quick enough to announce their guidelines for the religious activities following the governor’s request on social media. Then updates follow based on the pronouncements of Archbishop Palma. The Basilica del Sto. Nino church also made its directives known to their parishioners online.
Here are the guidelines of the Lourdes Parish:
1. All Holy Masses (even on Sunday) will be suspended until further notice. Masses will still continue through online. This will be our schedule for Daily online Masses.. 6:30 am. 12n. 6 pm
Sunday online schedule:
6:30 am, Fr. Dan. 8 am, Fr. Joriz.
10:30 am, Fr. Randy. 3 pm, Fr. Keith.
6 pm, Fr. Arvin
We shall be posting all our Daily & Sunday Online Masses at our New Official FB page: Lourdes Shine Cebu. Please invite yourselves to this page.
2. Funeral Masses may be celebrated but limited only to the immediate family.
3. We encourage Baptism & Marriage to be deferred, but if not it will be administered with a limited number of persons.
4. All Religious Gatherings will be canceled like Fiesta, Processions, Recollection, Meetings or Formation to comply with Social Distancing policies.
5. Holy Week Services might proceed without the congregation. But we will use digital technology so as not to deprive the parishioners of these services.
6. Our Church will remain open for prayers. But the Adoration Chapel will be temporarily closed.
7. Our Church Bells will ring at 12n & 8 pm to signal prayers for the frontline health workers and for this virus to cease.
8. All Church facilities will be temporarily closed until further notice.
YouTube video by Evening Standard The Pope calls for prayers for Covid-19 sufferers during live-streamed Mass
The Example of the Pope
Pope Francis holds private daily mass from his residence inside the Vatican. It has a livestream coverge. The pontiff decides not to hold regular mass in public. The Pope’s decision is to help prevent crowds from gathering as a precaution against the spread of the novel coronavirus. His regular online mass aims is to create closeness with those who suffer from the pandemic. “Let’s continue to pray together for the sick people, the health workers, so many people that are suffering from this epidemic,” said the pontiff at the beginning of the mass celebrated from the Casa Santa Marta residence. The livestream of the private morning liturgy will continue every day, according to the Vatican.
The Governor’s Call
Cebu City Governor Gwen Garcia calls on the church leaders to apply precautionary measures to fight against the spread of coronavirus. She discourages group gatherings and encourages social distancing as much as possible. Both personalities are not imposing tough policies to punish those who do not follow. But only people with common sense can realize the severity of the situation.
Not an Order but a Request
The church always gives its followers the option to decide on what road to take when a situation arises. Nevertheless, since the Pope already set an example to his faithful, church leaders must have the wisdom to follow through. If only they can track the updates worldwide, then there would be no excuse for them to have blind faith.
YouTube video by Bongbong Marcos Senior Citizens | Bongbong Marcos
Talking about the Senior Citizens
Tayong mga Pilipino ay malaki ang respeto at pagpapahalaga sa mga nakatatanda. Kaya’t sa panahong ito ng paglaganap ng COVID-19, dapat masiguro ang kanilang kaligtasan.
Old People’s Home
Bongbong Marcos narrates his mother’s own experience. Then First Lady Imelda Marcos said that she failed only in the Old People’s Home project. This is because Filipinos prefer to take care of their elders at home. Not to separate in them in the home of the aged facilities and later forget about them just like in some other cultures. Seniors citizens serve as the guide for the young Filipinos and a source of wisdom for those who are willing to listen to them.
Longetivity is Enhanced
Marcos also observes that the Filipino life span increases. This can be the result of improved medical care. As a senior citizen himself, he knows the advantages given by the government to this age group. There’s a 20% discount on all goods that are vatable. Hotels and restaurants are also included in this long list of establishments. He is not sure if motels are in the list – but he’s thumbs up to those 60 years old folks and over who are still sexually active.
YouTube video by Elena Grace Flores Gov. Gwen Garcia: Not a Lockdown (But a Lockin?)
Not a Lockdown
Governor Gwen Garcia said that the travel restriction is not a lockdown. The people can still travel out of the province — they just cannot go back in. So, categorically, it’s a lockin. She added that the provincial government is still awaits for new guidelines from the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infection Diseases before taking any action on international flights.
The Military is in Full Force
The Central Visayas police will monitor the boundaries of Cebu. Central Visayas police chief BGen. Albert Ferro assures that they have enough policemen to deploy at all seaports and at the airport.
No Confirmed Coronavirus Cases but Many are Under Observation
Of the 52 persons under investigation (PUI) for COVID-19 in Central Visayas, 37 are in Mandaue City. This is the report of the regional health officials last March 12 yet. The Department of Health in Central Visayas said the 37 persons who were exhibiting flu-like symptoms, are a mix of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), foreign tourists, and those who had no history of travel abroad. The OFWs exhibited symptoms after coming back to the Philippines from countries with COVID-19 cases. Is it possible that there are no confirmed cases because there are no testing kits available yet?
YouTube video by Imee Marcos Senator Imee Marcos does the Tala Challenge
The Senator Did Not Spare the Tala Challenge
Senator Imee Marcos does the Tala Dance Challenge with Congresswoman Geraldine Roman and her brother Tony during the KABAKA anniversary in Dinalupihan, Bataan last Sunday, March 8.
The Marcos-Duterte Alliance
Sarah Geronimo’s “Tala” enjoys a renaissance recently. The now-iconic dance sequence from the song’s music video is now at the center of everything. This is from Tiktok videos to a Tala Dance Challenge to various party performances.
The Dancing Senator
Senator Marcos who does not look like a senior citizen at all still rocks as she performs Tala’s dance routine with glee. She shows it all out as the crowd cheers. A choreographer in front makes sure that all the moves are coordinated. Nonetheless, everyone seems to have fun during this event.