Bongbong Marcos leaves the legalities over his electoral protest against Leni Robredo should he be appointed as DILG secretary by the president. He is certain that holding an appointed position is different from the elective one. So, as far as legality is concerned, his recount quest could still go on.
Youtube video by; Rappler
[VIDEO]: Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr said he would accept a Cabinet post if offered by President Rodrigo Duterte.
Electoral Protest Remains Valid
Bongbong Marcos’s electoral protest against Leni Robredo remains valid when Marcos accepts a Cabinet post in the Du30 administration. Former Commission on Elections commissioner Gregorio Larrazabal and lawyer Raul Lambino said this after the plan to appoint Marcos to his Cabinet as soon as the one-year appointment ban on unsuccessful candidates in the May 2016 lapses on May 9 breaks out.
Similar PET Cases
Larrazabal explains similar PET cases: the protest of the late senator Miriam Santiago in 1992 against Fidel Ramos for the presidential election is one. The protest of Sen. Loren Legarda versus Noli de Castro’s VP victory in 2004 is another, and the protest of then Mar Roxas II against Jejomar Binay’s win in the 2010 vice-presidential race.
Santiago and Legarda won Senate seats in 1995 and 2007, respectively. That invalidated their electoral protests. Roxas pursued his protest until he ran for president last year and lost.
Compatible with VP Post
Lambino elaborated that a Cabinet appointment is not a hindrance to Marcos’ electoral protest that is still pending. This is because a Cabinet post is not incompatible with the Vice presidential position. The only effect it can cause is based on the capacity of Bongbong Marcos to prioritize tasks.