By: Elena Grace Flores
You can’t blame people for switching to medicinal plants for their home garden with the onset of alternative medicine. Ancient healing are never regarded as things of the past. Instead, they are being revived due to their tested health benefits. It is therefore advantageous to grow these kinds of plants in your own garden. You can just pick them from your backyard or pots if you’re growing them indoors – when the need arises. These are some suggestions of very effective plants that you can practically grow at home:
- Herbs and spices are known to have medicinal values even during ancient times. To give a concrete example, turmeric which belongs to the herbal family is used for Ayurveda Medicine and garlic which is a spice is known to lower blood pressure.
- Tea can also be grown in your backyard. There are varieties to choose from. You can either pick and boil them straight after harvesting or dry the leaves before boiling them.
- Aloe Vera has various medicinal values. It is noted to make hair grow by just rubbing a newly cut branch with its sap dripping on your scalp. It can also thicken sparse hair.
- Ginger is known for its therapeutic effect as remedy for arthritis, sore throat and some stomach disorders. It can be taken as tea or used as topical liniment.
- Nettle plant is known for its astringent, expectorant, tonic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties. This is why it is called as a wonder plant.
- You can also add flowering plants in your herbal garden that can be made into potpourri by drying them up, mixing them with twigs and making them into ornamental centerpieces. They will generate an aroma that is soothing and relaxing to your senses.
Herbs are plants that are used for their scent, flavor and therapeutic properties. They can be processed into dietary supplements for complementary or alternative medicine by pharmaceutical companies. Their versions in capsules, tablets, teas or extracts are widely sold by health outlets.Note that certain elements of these herbal plants can interact with some drugs that you may be taking. It is therefore recommended to eliminate doubts by doing the following:
- Consult your doctor first. Many doctors are well versed with the contents of specific medicinal plants and they can recommend or disapprove whenever they find them beneficial or harmful for you.
- Do not take a bigger dose of what is recommended. Your body can only take so much.
- Take it under the guidance of an experienced herbalist. This way, you can avoid making mistakes on the dosage, administration and combination of herbs with conventional medicine.
- Be especially careful if you are pregnant or nursing. This is to make sure that there will be no side effects for you and your baby. You are vulnerable to infections and side effects when your system is not normal. So, take only what is approved by your doctor.
As herbal plants are 100% natural, they are still regarded as safer compared to most conventional medicines that are chemical-based. Study the needs of your family for these natural plants and prioritize in planting them in your garden. You can also share them to those in need or even sell them through your local market when your supply is too much. Some people definitely make a living out of it.
Image Source: Great Dreams
By: Gynn Flores
Good nutrition is the key to staying healthy. Maintaining good health entails a balanced diet, good hygiene and exercise. It also requires clean living – which means staying away from alcohol and drugs. People who are living a healthy lifestyle can function well and enjoy life even during senior years.
Taking snacks in between meals in moderation can help in preventing you from eating in bulk. Remember that healthy eating does not mean that you have to give up foods you like best. Just learn to balance the food items from the different food groups. The following are the 3 basic rules for a healthy diet that can be enjoyed:
- Variety means you include in your meals food items from different food groups. As a rule, there is no single food item that can supply all the needed nutrients that your body needs. Choose food items with different colors. The more colors or varieties, the more nutrients your body can have.
- Balance means that you must eat the right amount of food from the different levels in the food pyramid every day. This way, you will get all the nutrients and calories your body needs for maintenance and development.
- Moderation means that you are cautious on not eating too much of anything belonging only to one single food group. The right amount of servings in each food group would depend on your age, gender, and body size and activity level as well.
In our youth, we have all the energy to indulge in sports and fitness activities. This should continue during adulthood. Allot some time for this as a way of socializing with your friends, workmates or loved ones. A game of tennis, badminton or bowling would be few of your choices. Schedule it on a regular basis – around three times a week. If you prefer the gym, then hit it off. Sweating it out and burning calories increase metabolism. Toxins will be washed away also through the pores during the process.
Image Source: Mina
By: Gynn Flores
There would be times when it seems that everything is just not right. There is a lot of negativity around you that you seem to be so consumed with problems and unpleasant events. Know how to deal with all these and you will sooner or later overcome all these obstacles. Life is like a wheel, they say that some good things won’t last and so as the bad things – that are causing all the negative happenings. You have to learn how to turn negative circumstances into positive ones. The good thing is – you can do this from within you. Here are the guidelines to feel good again:
- Always have a positive attitude. When problems come up, do not panic. Study the root cause of a dilemma and identify avenues where you can find solutions.
- Always be in control of the situation as much as possible. Now is the time to be more focused and to be on your guard.
- Always be open to suggestions from experienced people and trusted friends or loved ones. Weigh all these and make a sound decision.
- Always use time to your advantage. If the situation needs urgency, give it priority if not, allow some time for things to settle down and give yourself much needed time to troubleshoot.
- Always be hopeful and never lose faith. Sometimes our fears come from our inability to trust our judgment and capacity. When human judgment and capacity fails, know that that there is a Higher Authority bigger than our problems.
- Always have patience. Rome was not built in one day. Many wrong decisions are made when you hurry up things.
- Always have the courage to do things that you think can help solve the problems that you encounter. It may not always spell success but not trying at all will automatically make you lose the chance in solving the problem at hand.
Dealing with things varies depending on your style, attitude and capacity. Do not let negativity consume you. Things happen for a reason and there is a solution for all problems. It may not happen immediately but in time, things will fall into place. It may be impossible to get out from certain messes sometimes but miracles do happen – if only, you believe. At the end of the day when troubles persist, it may be time to call it a day and let tomorrow take care of things.
Negative circumstances come with lessons learned. It may be the hard way but they are needed in order for us to grow. It makes us stronger in facing each day with courage and hope in our hearts. If unattached, seek the comfort of people close to you. If with a partner, do not let the negativity affect your relationship. No matter how deep a certain problem is within a union or a marriage such as sexual dysfunction, this can be solved when partners are supportive with each other.
Image Source: Your Wellness
By: Gemma Lagasca
Healing yourself from any pain you might be experiencing is the placebo effect of positive thinking. The power of the placebo is hope. This does not happen instantly. In fact you have to teach yourself not to be negative on things. No matter how hard a situation may seem, you need to see the positive side of it. It could be a blessing in disguise to make you avoid an even worse scenario. Here are some of the benefits of positive thinking:
- It allows you to control your emotions over anything that needs your course of action.
- It keeps you away from making impulsive actions and decisions that sometimes lead to more problems and mistakes.
- It makes you attract positive people and events in your life.
- It helps you avoid being depressed.
- It makes you calm no matter what the situation may be. Panicking will only cause more harm than good.
- It makes you heal yourself and move on fast after an untoward incident in your life.
As hope is the power of positive thinking, most people conclude that positive thinking is just for religious people. This is absolutely not true although faith can lead to positive thinking. Believing that they won’t have trials more than they can handle is enough to drive away negative energies. This is tantamount to say that every problem has a given solution. All we need to do is face it and know that it will be over soon. Positive thinking is a very powerful influence in our mind and since the brain is like a magnet, whatever it conceives can be manifested.
In the medical field, a placebo is known as a pharmacologically inert substance which may produce therapeutic results because of the belief in its efficacy. There are documents online indicating that a placebo is an inactive substance or procedure, which on its own has no effect but often used as a control. A placebo effect takes place when the subject given the placebo shows similar result as the experimental substance or procedure.
Over the years, the following scientists and prominent people have these to say which are suggestive of the placebo effect of positive thinking:
- Plato’s theory of forms suggests that the material objects around us are just abstractions of the real world, and that our intellect interacts with such entities which are inherently non-physical.
- Thomas Aquinas, a Christian Philosopher said that while a soul can exist independently of the flesh, it must be a part of the human body to become a true person.
- Rene Descartes, a French Philosopher is the most known wise man with regards to his theories on mind and matter. He claimed that immaterial mind and the material body are two completely separate entities that somehow managed to interact and exert control over each other.
- German Physician, Johann Christian August Heinroth in the 19th century coined the term psychosomatic, referring to his theory that the mind can encourage both mental and physical illness.
- A French Internist and hypnotism advocated later in the 19th century, Hippolyte Bernheim that developed the Suggestion and Autosuggestion Theory describing the psyche’s influence over illness which is known today as the placebo effect.
There may be contradictions with modern medicine with regards to the theories on placebo effect of positive thinking but as long as a person shows remarkable relief from discomforts and bad condition, by just nourishing the mind with pleasant things, this is very much encouraged.
Image Source: Frequency Guru
By: Gemma Lagasca
Taking care of your finances by not going overboard with spending will keep you safe from stresses. Financial crisis is evident in the world today. Simple living and proper management are crucial to be financially stable. Beware of the bad habits to protect yourself from one of the major causes of diseases – to be able to nurture your health, sanity and well-being without paying a single penny:
- Sleeplessness due to too much thinking on how to earn more money and how to spend it can drain you out. Not knowing where to get money to meet your monthly dues will not give you peace of mind. Lack of sleep can lead to mood swings, irritability and sickness. You are most likely to experience anxieties, frustrations and depressions if you have lots of debts. Never allow this to happen by not indulging into a luxurious lifestyle at the slightest increase of salary or profit – since the economy is fluctuating.
- Binge-eating, drinking too much alcohol and smoking to make yourself feel good when bothered financially will only make your situation worst. They willnot only gradually tear your life apart but will also make your future miserable.
- Saving on health check-ups is a sign of being desperate with money. Unfortunately,this will even make a small problem becomes bigger. Undetected conditions may lead to serious diseases. You can lose every penny you’ve got and your life if you take your health for granted.
Here’s what you should be doing:
- Live simply. Set your mind to live within your limit. Living this way doesn’t have to be sad and dull. If you are always considering your financial capacity, you can think of some simple things that will make you and your family happy without splurging money you don’t have. Appreciating the small things in life is the key to a stress-free life.
- Create a monthly budget diary. It is important to have a record of your fix monthly needs to do the actual budgeting. List down all your basic necessities and do your own math. This way, you can easily determine where the money goes.
- Save first before spending. Once you have received your pay check, go directly to your bank and save at least a portion of it. Deposit 10% of your earnings every month into your savings account and at least 1% for emergency fund. This method is very effective in securing your future and in protecting yourself in times of emergency. What’s left with money on hand will go to the expenses for your daily living like basic necessities, allowances and bills.
- Save for your retirement plan. A good retirement plan will make you live comfortably during your golden years. The earlier you save, the better. The advantage of getting interests from your accumulated savings annually is the possibility of creating wealth in the future. When you retire, your needs will be supported by your own investments.
- Avoid debts. Having debts is a clear indication that you are not living within your financial capacity. Use cash every time you purchase to alarm you of your limits. Keep track of your cash-flow status by not using credit cards.
The ailing economy is enough reason for us to be conscious of our financial situation. There’s really no need to spend for extravagant recreations to be relaxed. You can actually afford to have a worry-free life by being wise with money. Save, be aware of the things around you and cherish your relationships.
Image Source: Money