Posted on 3 Comments

Imee Marcos: Moving On from Martial Law Means Learning from the Past

martial law
By: Elena Grace Flores

The martial law blaming game during the Marcos era is again a spotlight in interviews today for the upcoming 2019 elections. Senator Bam Aquino insists that Senate candidate, Imee Marcos should apologize to the victims of the said military rule of her father instead of moving on. The governor of Ilocos Norte clarifies what she meant about moving on from it. z

YouTube video byABS-CBN News

[VIDEO]: Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos clarified on her previous remark to “move on” from the martial law issues thrown to her late father, the late President Ferdinand Marcos.

Moving on from Martial Law by Imee Marcos

Imee Marcos explains to Senator Aquino Aquino who presses the issue of the martial law apology that moving on does not mean forgetting the past. It is already in history and no one can change that. The best thing is to learn from it and make sure that it won’t happen again.

The Assessment of Millennials

The millennials are the youths who belong to the generation after the technological advancement. They have all the resources to hear both sides unlike before. The Philippines, in particular, was in the control of the mainstream media. It influences the decision-making of the Filipinos during elections. The black media propaganda against the Marcoses is spread out through its networks worldwide.

Many Apologies are Done Repeatedly

When the anchor asks if an apology must be done by Gov. Marcos, she replies that she has said sorry many times. Apologies to the victims and to others who were hurt because of the incident were undertaken on numerous occasions. However, she cannot apologize on any atrocities because the version that they knew when they were younger, was the opposite of the black media propaganda. Many older people are saying that the Marcos era was more prosperous and peaceful than any administrations after that.

Not in the Authority to Accept Responsibility

Gov. Marcos added that she is not in the position to accept the responsibility brought about by her father’s era. She can only move forward to work on how to improve the lives of Filipinos. Nevertheless, her political enemies especially the Aquinos, are again reviving this old wives’ tale.

Social Media to Air the Marcoses’ Side

Marcos admits that their only mistake was staying quiet about the accusations to her deceased father. They just do not have the outlet to retaliate until social media arrives. This gives them the channel to air their side. Better yet, real people who are witnesses of the said dark ages in the Philippine history also came forward through online platforms burying the half-truths propagated by the Aquino stalwarts. This is to the surprise of the yellow faction that went to the verge of befriending Facebook’s founder, Mark Zuckerberg.

Posted on Leave a comment

The Supreme Court En Banc Sets Martial Law Extension Petition Argument Next Week

Supreme Court
By: Elena Grace Flores

Solicitor General Jose Calida files his comment on the petition recently. He insists that rebellion still exists. “The issue of whether such rebellion persists must have the verification of the executive department. Then, the approval by the legislative department must follow. These are the two of the three co-equal branches of the government. The Supreme Court en banc sets the oral arguments of the petition against martial law extension on January 22 and 23. z

YouTube video byGMA Public Affairs

[VIDEO]: Kamakailan lamang ay muling ipinalawig ni Pangulong Duterte ang Batas Militar sa Mindanao hanggang Disyembre 2019. Ano-ano na nga ba ang naging epekto nang pagpapatupad nito noong nakaraang taon?

Martial Law Extension Resistance

Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice previously says that martial law extension reflects on the military’s performance and that this is not necessary for Mindanao. The Magnificent 7 lawmakers led by Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman earlier files the first petition. On top of that, another group of opposition lawmakers challenges the factual basis of President Rodrigo Du30’s third extension of martial law before the Supreme Court.

The Opposition Group’s Arguments

The lawmakers argue that the government fails to prove that this specific public safety requirement exists.” They said that Du30 requests for its extension with general terms instead of factual arguments. The President allegedly did not submit a more detailed report to support his administration’s statement of continuing rebellion in Mindanao. The members of Congress did not receive such document. They believe that the rebellious incidents do not endanger public safety. This a ground to impose martial law under the Constitution, they added.

The Anti-Martial Law Lawmakers

The Makabayan bloc is composed of House Representatives Carlos Isagani Zarate of Bayan Muna, Emmi De Jesus and Arlene Brosas of Gabriela, Ariel Casilao of Anakpawis, Antonio Tinio and France Castro of ACT Teachers and Sarah Jane Elago of Kabataan party list.

Defending the Country’s Sovereignty through the Supreme Court

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana assures the public that the military “will continue to uphold its mandate of defending the sovereignty of our state. Then, to retain the integrity of the country’s territory and protect the democratic way of life of our people. This with full respect for human rights, international humanitarian law and the primacy of the rule of law, of course.”

The Able Respondents

Named as respondents are President Rodrigo Du30, Congress of the Philippines represented by Senate President Vicente Sotto III and House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, Jr., and Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde.

Posted on 1 Comment

Response to Hontiveros’ Insistence that Current Martial Law is Similar to Marcos’

martial law
By: Elena Grace Flores

Senator Risa Hontiveros, who is known to defend criminals claims that the Du30 administration’s martial law has a record of distorting the rule of law. It allegedly mobilizes the state’s resources and machinery against its opponents. She insists that the situation in Mindanao seems to have similarity with that of the late President Ferdinand Marcos’ regime. Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año’s response to Hontiveros during a deliberation says it all: Only lawless individuals in Mindanao are afraid of the military rule. She should study the difference between the two versions as per the constitution itself. z
Youtube Video by PH News Unfiltered

[VIDEO]: Sagutan ni Risa Hontiveros at Eduardo Año sa Martial Law extension sa House

Hontiveros’ Frustration

Hontiveros expresses her sentiment that law enforcement agencies should rely on the 1987 Constitution on the fulfillment of their duties, and not on military rule. She is against the extension of martial law in Mindanao. Her reactions to the statements of Secretary Año during the joint session of the Congress are all critical to it unsurprisingly.

The Opposition Fears for the 2019 Elections

Senator Hontiveros expresses fears that the military rule can cause harassments to local and national politicians from the opposition. This pertains especially those who will run in the 2019 midterm elections. The Congress conducts a joint session to tackle the extension of martial law in Mindanao recently as per the request of the President. The continuing rebellion in Mindanao necessitates the need for additional power to law enforcement agencies. This is something that Hontiveros is uncomfortable about.

The House’s Support

House Majority Leader Andaya made a motion to approve the joint resolution for martial law extension in the joint session. The House backs the assessment of police and military officials. It agrees that there’s “a continuing rebellion in Mindanao.” Andaya, representative of Camarines Sur, said that the House believes a “further extension of martial law and the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus will enable the authorities to finally put an end to the rebellion. It can also keep it from escalating to other parts of the countr. Thus, prevent a catastrophe like in Marawi City.”

Yes Votes

Twelve senators vote in support of the martial law extension. They are Senate President Vicente Sotto III, Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri, and Senators Gregorio Honasan II. Panfilo Lacson, Richard Gordon, Cynthia Villar, Grace Poe, Aquilino Pimentel III, Joseph Victor Ejercito, Juan Edgardo Angara, Sherwin Gatchalian, and Emmanuel Pacquiao also said yes to it. Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo who presides the joint session with Senator Tito Sotto supports the martial law extension.

No votes for Martial Law Extension

There are five senators who are against the President’s desire for the military rule extension for the third time in Mindanao. They are Paolo Benigno Aquino IV, Franklin Drilon, Francis Escudero, Risa Hontiveros, and Francis Pangilinan. Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto abstained. The Senate and the House of Representatives vote to extend martial law and the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus in the whole Mindanao until the end of 2019 at 235-28-1. The Senate vote is at 12-5-1 and the House 223-23-0. This takes almost five hours of deliberations.

Posted on Leave a comment

Enrile Explains why he Denied Martial Law Brutality to Bongbong Marcos

Martial Law


By: Elena Grace Flores

Former Senator Juan Ponce Enrile said that when the country is confronted with the same magnitude of rebellion as during the martial law regime, it must be handled intensely. This is to silence or intercept the chaos at once. He retains that the ultimate purpose of the late President Ferdinand Marcos’s military rule declaration was to prevent massive bloodshed. He admits, however, that there were lapses in his memory. This was when he threw a challenge to give him at least one name who was imprisoned because of his or her political beliefs during his interview with Bongbong Marcos. He then insisted that they were released right away as things settled down. At 94 years old, Enrile is running again for Senate seat in 2019.



YouTube video by Elena Grace Flores

[VIDEO]: The Chiefs grilled former Senator Juan Ponce Enrile on why he told Bongbong Marcos that there were no martial law human rights violations.


Hopeful at 94

Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile vies for a Senate seat again. This is in the upcoming midterm elections. The 94-year-old veteran politician confirms that he is set to run as an independent candidate. His lawyer, Joseph Sagandoy filed his certificate of candidacy. He urges The Chiefs to let the people judge him on his performance. If he loses, he will easily accept. But he wins, he will serve the nation.


History Revisionism or the Truth?

“I am not going to wrestle with anybody physically, I am going to wrestle mentally,” Enrile said. Enrile’s Senate bid comes barely a month after he drew flak for his interview with former Senator Bongbong Marcos over what his critics branded as an attempt at historical revisionism of the martial law era. Enrile said that he is running following his own will. Marcos never made an attempt to convince him to re-enter politics.


Memory Lapses

A former defense minister of the late Marcos, Sr., Enrile recently told Marcos, Jr. that no one was arrested under his father’s rule for their political or religious beliefs. Many political figures debated on these and he agrees that he may have said that when having some memory lapses. He also sought to dispel talk that he was no longer fit to run for public office. Enrile said in jest that he may even outlive some of the incumbent Senators.



Platform for His Ideas

Enrile earlier said he would run as an independent candidate but would welcome the endorsement of President Rodrigo Du30. He said winning in next year’s elections would help him have a platform for his ideas. Enrile joins the late President’s daughter, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos in the 2019 senatorial race.


Let the People Decide

It is obvious that The Chiefs are worried about the increasing popularity of Gov. Marcos. The possibility of her brother’s VP electoral protest is another thing. However, Enrile can only advise them to let the people decide.


Posted on 3 Comments

President Duterte Refuses to Pass the Presidency to Robredo Despite the Uncertainty of His Health

health


By: Elena Grace Flores

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte discloses that he might have cancer and added that he does not know where he stands as the results of recent medical tests have not come yet. Duterte said in a speech in Manila that he underwent an endoscopy and colonoscopy about three weeks ago. His doctor was advised this week to repeat the tests. Both tests aim to diagnose any abnormality in the digestive tract and colon. Despite the uncertainty of his health, he refuses to give hope to Vice President Leni Robredo that she can soon take over his place. He thinks that she is too weak strategy-wise to be a good leader for the Philippines.



YouTube video by TOKHANG TV

[VIDEO]: President Du30 said that VP Leni Robredo is too weak to be the next Philippine leader.


The President’s Health

Duterte has admitted even before that he has Barrett’s Esophagus, a gastroesophageal reflux disease in the stomach. The President has stated that he does not know how he is physically-speaking now. However, he said that in case he has cancer, he will let the public know about it. He does not care if it is stage 4. For sure, he will not prolong his agony both personally and professionally. The president also said that he will not prolong the agony of the top office of the land but to resign is definitely not an option.

Loyalty to the Late President Marcos

This strike against Robredo is not new anymore.  Duterte earlier said he would rather leave the country in the hands of a Marcos than his constitutional successor. He once said, “If I stop now in my crusade against drugs, and if there is no order in this place, and corruption will continue? You’re dead meat. I said you’re better off choosing an alleged dictator in the likes of Marcos. That’s what I suggested.” The late Ferdinand Marcos was accused as a tyrant but many prove the allegations as wrong and were just a black media propaganda against him. His namesake, Ferdinand Marcos is the Protester for the VP post.


Bongbong Marcos as Presidential Successor

Contrary to the media propaganda of Robredo’s camp, Atty. Glenn Chong assures the public that the recent threshold the PET uses for the recount of the VP electoral protest filed by Bongbong Marcos against Leni Robredo is 50%. Chong explained that 21,000 votes of Robredo did not pass the Supreme Court standard. As of now, they are set aside first. Therefore, the presumptive Vice President has 21,000 fewer votes currently. This is why in the revision reports, the total number of Robredo’s votes is a lot lower than the total of the election returns printed from the election machine.



Repeating History with Martial Law and Destabilization

According to Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Carlito Galvez Jr., the CPP has organized in at least 10 universities in the Metro for the plot to oust President Duterte. The traces gathered involving the activities of Reyes with the communist group can support this allegation. Galvez is also claiming that the communists intend to drag Duterte into declaring martial law as a political death trap. He compares it to the Plaza Miranda bombing of the 1970s. The authorities contemplate that a more or less similar scenario can happen again as per the nature of the rebels’ history.


VP Electoral Protest Update

Galvez also clarifies that the Liberal Party is not part of the CPP’s “Red October”. However, he adds that the CPP does desire to form a coalition with opposition groups to be able to oust the President. The party might not be officially associated with the communists but many of them especially the yellow-minded can only support the insurgents because of their intention to get rid of Duterte.