By: Elena Grace Flores
We always have this mentality that we need to lose weight to be healthy. More often than not, this is not the case for everybody. One must listen to his or her own body. Are you active, emotionally stable, happy and comfortable? Then, it does not matter what shape you are in because body structure can change as we age. Here are practical guidelines:
1. Plan for your long term diet: This is not about self deprivation or selective eating. This should be gathering nutritional food items that will give you the nutrients needed. The trick is to have a bit of every food group. Make sure that you will enjoy what you’re eating so that you can maintain this sort of diet for a longer period of time. Change the food items but not the food groups as you go along to avoid boredom.
2. Consider exercise and water as food groups: Drink lots of fluid or water but preferably fresh fruit juices causes you are seldom hungry if you drink a lot of liquid. Also design your lifestyle with active events. This can be indoor and outdoor exercises but even household chores can do the job too.
3. Moderate but balanced eating is essential: Choose your favorite foods but never deprive yourself with fibrous carbohydrates, lean protein, healthy fats, natural fibers, vitamins, and minerals. However, if you are tempted to eat some delectable desserts then don’t stop yourself but eat lots of fruits and vegetables also to balance them out.
4. Be cautious with the way you eat: Never eat in a rush if you can help it. Take your time and chew well. Snacking in between chores is not a good habit because you’re more likely prone to fast foods. Eat with your mind like when sharing delicacies with friends. Prioritize eating breakfast and minimize the rest of the meals especially at night.
5. Always eat with fruits and vegetables: The more colorful these organic food choices are the better. Each pretty color segment is a source of any of these: anti-sickness vitamins and minerals, antioxidants for cleaner digestive system and fiber for non-fat energy.
6. Avoid white carbohydrates: Anything white when it comes to carbohydrates is not good for your regular diet. Most of these products are highly processed thus eliminating the nutrients from the original raw materials. Whole grains and starchy fruits are good sources of healthy carbohydrates. Choose the colored version of sugar, rice and flour if you need to take any of them.
7. Do not avoid fats totally but choose the healthy ones. Omega-3 rich oils from fishes are good for your heart and brain and will make feel good. Monounsaturated fats from nuts like olive oil are also helpful choices.
8. Foods for growth named protein can’t be eliminated in a healthy diet. Lean meats are good but protein can be found also in plants. Beans, nuts and soy products are also good sources of protein. Even if you reach the maximum growing age, you still need protein to build damaged cells, replace defective tissues and thinning organ walls or components.
9. Take some calcium-rich food stuff or supplements. Milk, beans, fruits and vegetables are basic sources of calcium. Maintain at least 1000 to 1200 calcium level in a daily basis if you are 50 years old and above.
10. Limit your sugar and salt consumption. Sugar in take must not be over one teaspoon a day because higher than that can put you at risk of high blood pressure. Drinking 8 ounces of soda is like taking10 teaspoons of sugar plus in addition to the normal sugar amount from carbohydrates and desserts. Having a sweet tooth can make you prone to diabetes.
It’s good that you are paying attention to the 10 tips of having a healthy diet stated above- but it’s equally important to enjoy dining and spend enough time for it in a regular basis. The target should not be gaining that sexy body – but the figure that felt right for you!
It is tempting just grabbing some carbohydrate-loaded snack to substitute a meal while hanging out in the airport waiting for your flight. Don’t just satisfy your hunger and even your cravings with partial nutrition especially when traveling. You will need all the nutrients available when moving from one place to another due to sudden change of temperature that can result to common sickness like fever and flu. Here’s an airport diet recommended by Diana Kohnle as studied by the Academy of nutrition and Dietetics:
- Skim milk.Mozarella cheese
- Chicken fillet sandwich stuffed with fresh lettuce and mustard on top
- Garden fresh salad with non-fatty protein topping
- Non-salty vegetable soup
- Fresh slices of fruits and vegetables
- Brewed coffee with fresh fat-free milk
A little bit of everything from the menu above will be perfect – but don’t be too hard on yourself when you can’t find a whole package that includes all these items. Perhaps at least 3 selections from this recommendation will be good enough for your sustenance and nutrition. Just make the right choice for the combination and you will definitely have a disease-free travel!
By: Elena Grace Flores
Eating healthy does not encourage starvation, deprivation and nutrient insufficiency. Eating to live or living to eat is also not the point here. However, you will never know how to create a healthy diet plan for you if you don’t know the facts concerning healthy eating. This article surprisingly contain all elements of eating healthy:
Healthy eating is not about strict nutrition philosophies, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about feeling great, having more energy, stabilizing your mood, and keeping yourself as healthy as possible—all of which can be achieved by learning some nutrition basics and using them in a way that works for you. You can expand your range of healthy food choices and learn how to plan ahead to create and maintain a tasty, healthy diet. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm
By all means, enjoy what you eat. Dining is actually an art but if you are forcing yourself to swallow anything for whatever reason, then you totally miss the point. Being healthy is being happy with whatever you do including eating. So, choose the colors, fragrance and texture of your food – then you will also gain the nutrients that your body needs.