Misleading headlines by Anti-Du30 administration publications created a major stir in Japan when they were picked up by a foreign media. This deserved attention after Bongbong Marcos discloses his theory that there are groups who are trying hard to destabilize the government. Can they be a part of it? Here are some facts.
[VIDEO]: DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano warns that the Philippines’ ‘long-term’ relationship with Japan is at stake. This is due to the existence of the World War II comfort woman or sex slave statue along Manila Bay.
Reuters Highlights Du30’s Alleged Inaction
Reuters is an international news agency with headquarters in London, United Kingdom. It stresses that President Rodrigo Du30’s spokesman said that the presidential palace has no action regarding the Comfort Women statue. Tokyo objects on it. Senator Alan Peter Cayetano announces a day after this statement that a panel looks into Japan’s request for it.
Misleading News Titles
Misleading Headlines defeat its own contents. Most Japanese people are not happy with what they read after the Philippine visit of Japan’s Internal Affairs and Communication Minister, Seiko Noda last January 9 – when the President only explains to Noda that in the country’s democratic Constitution, he cannot stop the freedom of expression of these war victims or their families. However, this is not a national policy.
Clarification on the Issue
Du30 nor the DFA Department did not give the permit to build the statue in the first place. The last thing he wants is to cause conflict with the country’s relationship with Japan. The Filipino leader just emphasizes that he alone cannot impose anything on the group following the rule of law. Since it affects foreign relations, the DFA Secretary’s intervention is necessary. There may be some truth to Marcos’ speculation on destabilization if these media intended to portray the Filipino leader as someone who doesn’t value Japan’s friendship to bring in further chaos to his administration. Otherwise, just a mere case of bad taste or unpatriotic sentiments.
Reuters reported that Bongbong Marcos, son of former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos took a step towards securing a recount of votes in an election for the vice presidential race last year. He discloses that he was unfairly robbed of victory. Social activist and lawyer Leni Robredo was proclaimed the winner for only about 260,000 votes.
Youtube video by; GMA News
[VIDEO]: Dating Sen. Marcos, gustong iapela ang halagang pinababayaran ng SC para sa recount ng mga boto.
Bongbong Marcos said that it is good to have kind-hearted friends. That they also believe in his election protest because it is right, just and fair. He did not present all the 40 friends who contributed but they are listed with contact numbers and addresses for verification if needed by the media. The manager’s check was given in full to Marcos with the list and a protest letter to SC.
Robredo is Not Favored by the President
Robredo’s relationship with the President is not harmonious despite obvious efforts from both sides. He has cracked jokes publicly at her expense. She criticizes some of his policies, including his war on drugs. The most recent move she made just pulled her satisfaction rating down – when she delivered a video message to a U.N. human rights conference in Geneva deemed as a betrayal of public trust.
Preferred by the Administration
Last year, Du30 instructed his assistant to tell Robredo not to attend his Cabinet meetings. This prompted her to resign as housing secretary. She remained vice president but not a cabinet member anymore. Rumors have it that the president favors Marcos and he is also preferred by the cabinet members to manage an important department soon.
Marcos’ next schedule to pay the rest of the recount fees is on July 14. He has to pay another 30 million pesos to complete the recount votes in more than 39,000 polling precincts nationwide. Vote-counting machines were allegedly manipulated to favor of Robredo. She has challenged his protest in the high court by filing a counter protest – but she failed to pay the required 8 million pesos deposit. Duterte’s father, a former governor in Mindanao province, served under the elder Marcos when he was first elected president in 1965.