The former senator and son of the late President Ferdinand Marcos recently said that he is a candidate for a position in the 2022 national elections. The presumptive Vice President Leni Robredo immediately retaliates by saying that Bongbong Marcos must accept whatever the results will be in the electoral protest if he runs. This may include his possible defeat,she added. BBM can only reciprocate Robredo’s advise. In fact, it goes to both of them. The sitting VP should have known that a Supreme Court decision on the case is more likely. This can be detrimental to her fight.
YouTube video by INQUIRER.net CJ Peralta assures fair decision on Marcos poll protest vs Robredo
As a lawyer, Robredo should know that it is one’s decision to accept any verdict from a protest regardless of the result. She has no rights by all means to force Marcos to accept the outcome or not. She can only pray that the case can drag along longer for it to be moot during the election in May 2022.
Will the Supreme Court Favor Bongbong Marcos?
Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta dismisses public apprehensions that his appointment as the top magistrate could affect the poll protest in favor of former senator Marcos. His FEM burial vote is the only one that favors the Marcoses. However, experts say that the changes in the Supreme Court make it very difficult for Robredo. This is because, most magistrates are appointees of the President.
Appointees of the President in the Supreme Court
President Rodrigo Duterte appoints two new justices to the Supreme Court. Associate Justices Edgardo delos Santos and Mario Lopez. They took their oath in Malacañang last year. They replaced retired justices Antonio Carpio and Francis Jardeleza, respectively. Duterte has yet to appoint one more associate justice to complete the 15-member high court. It is now dominated by 11 Duterte appointees. This includes Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta.
Peralta’s Leadership is Until 2022
Peralta is the third chief magistrate to be appointed by Duterte. This is after the historic ouster of Maria Lourdes Sereno. The first two are Teresita Leonardo De Castro retires as head of the Supreme Court after a two-month stint. Then, Lucas Bersamin, steps down on October 18 upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 70. Peralta will lead the high court until March 2022.
Strategic Election Move
Marcos talks about the election strategy to not announce the specifics of his candidacy earlier. However, his running for a post alone is already significant in itself. If he’s lucky enough to emerge as the winner of the protest, he can have a lot of sympathies even from non-Marcos supporters for the Presidency. He can also opt to run as VP again should the decision is unfavorable to him. Perhaps, with a running mate strong enough to win and who is also willing to step down for him to become President.
Bongbong Marcos recently announces in a press conference that he is indeed running for national elections in 2022. In fact, the ground work for the campaigns are already set. Ideally, it can start on the first day after the midterm election. He makes sure that he won’t commit the mistake of former Senator Manny Villar who announces his presidential candidacy early on. He added that he still has to figure out which position he’s taking. Rumors had it that his likely tandem is presidential daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio.
YouTube video by CNN Philippines Bongbong Marcos to run in 2022 elections
Sara Duterte-Carpio’s Hint for 2022
Sara Duterte-Carpio commonly known as Inday Sara, is a Filipina lawyer, politician and the incumbent Mayor of Davao City. There are many forces from the Duterte groups for her to run for president in 2022. However, t is also known that even before the 2016 polls, her father, President Rodrigo Duterte already intends to make Marcos president. In one interview, Inday Sara even said that she might run for Vice President.
To the surprise of many, Senator Imee Marcos, the older sister of the former Senator also agrees that the mayor is the strongest bet for president right now. She features Carpio as well in many of her publicity ads as she hurdles into relevant projects as lawmaker. The younger Marcos also frequents the events of the mayor as honorable guest in her bailiwick.
The Mistake of Manny Villar and Jojo Binay
The VP Protestant echoes Villar’s disclosure that he made a mistake in announcing his presidential bid a long time ago. Most veteran politicians are familiar with this strategy. Nevertheless, despite the common belief, former Vice President Jejomar Binay did the same mistake. Therefore, there were speculations that he did that on purpose. This is for the other opposition candidate, now President Duterte to survive. Thus, preventing the Liberal Party’s bet to make it to the top.
Elections 2022 or Before
The presumptive Vice President Leni Robredo can also start to make noises with regards to the election protest of Marcos against her. Despite the explanations of her lawyer, many believe that it really gets difficult for her. This is because the recount result is not the sole basis of the protest. There is still another course of action which is the annulment of the questionable votes in Mindanao that can easily surpass her slim margin. Given the fact that most of the supreme court justices who would decide on the outcome are appointees of the President. So, there is a big possibility that Filipinos would just wake up with a new President already in place even before 2022.
By: Elena Grace Flores
True to the logical explaination of Bongbong Marcos’ spokesperson, Atty. Vic Rodriguez earlier, his electoral protest against the presumptive Vice President, Leni Robredo continues. As per the constitution, the Supreme Court can’t dismiss such a case without resolving the pending second course of action regardless of the recount result. The SC en banc, according to Marcos, rejects to adopt a draft decision made by Associate Justice Benjamin Caguioa. He recommends a dismissal of Marcos’ election protest. “I am happy that the case continues,” said Marcos. “So the case lives and it continues,” he said. Besides, only justices Carpio and Caguiao have dissenting opinions versus the 8 magistrates who are for Marcos.
YouTube video by PINOY RANDOM TV RESULTA NG PET RULING MUKHANG PABORABLE KAY BBM
Trust in the Judiciary
Marcos can’t deny that frustration sneeks in after being made to wait for too long to take over as Vice President. “Of course, it’s frustrating but what are you going to do?” he said. “You have to trust the wisdom of our justices. Also the case is complicated. It is the first time that any presidential protest has reached this stage,” Marcos said.
Initial Recount Results
The high court that sits as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), releases copies of initial recount results. These are from the provinces of Camarines Sur, Iloilo and Negros Oriental. The former senator claims that massive cheating allows Robredo to win. He files such case for it but the camp of Robredo demands the release of its results. The Supreme Court also asks Robredo’s camp to submit an answer to Marcos’ bid. This is to recount votes in yet another area. This time, it’s in the the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Likely Heir of the President
President Rodrigo Du30 currently laments over his poor health. He declares that he is suffering from a chronic immune-system disorder. The timing does not seem accidental. The Supreme Court, with his appointees, is set to issue a crucial ruling about who should be a heartbeat away from the presidency.
The Annointed Successor
If the 74-year-old President Du30 who is prone to long, unclear public absences gets his way, his vice- president should be Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. He swears during the campaign period that he would turnover the Presidency to Marcos because he’s too old for the problems of the country. The Filipino leader also clarifies his disagreement for Robredo to succeed him.
By: Elena Grace Flores
Just shortly after the Supreme Court that sits as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, postpones its decision on 2016 vice presidential recount – a media entity leaks the alleged en banc voting that favors Bongbong Marcos. The analysis said that it is most likely vote 8-6 in favor of the protestant. Immediately after the controversy SC Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin denies such opinion but he fails to convince many political analysts given the obvious facts and situation.
YouTube video by ABS-CBN News[VIDEO]: Possible outcomes of Marcos-Robredo electoral protest
Robredo Cannot File for BBM’s Protest Dismissal
Robredo cannot claim victory just through the ballot recount. Bongbong Marcos has three causes of action that could invalidate Robredo’s slim margin of 263,473 votes.“First, that the certificates of canvas were not authentic. They came from tampered vote counting machine. Second, that there was massive fraud in Basilan, Lanao del Sur, and Maguindanao. Nothing is valid in those places. And third, that there were malfunctioning of vote counting machine in 22 provinces. This includes the five highly urbanized cities.
Making President Du30 Look Bad
Understandably, the reason why Robredo hangs on to her position is the fear that a reversal of the decision could delay her political ambition. To continue to affirm her victory despite the uncertainties could reduce Du30’s strong image as president. Investors will be adamant to complete projects like the construction of new airports to promote tourism. Another one is a rehabilitation of our railway line in Bicol and a new one Mindanao to provide easy access in the delivery of agricultural products, construction of new dams to improve our water system. Additionally, the breaking up of the telecommunications industry by allowing another party to join the industry, and the building of more bridges and new one along Pasig River, plus the assurance to import our fruits and agricultural products to help our farmers could slow down.
The Continuity of the Marcos-like Administration
Some suspect that the President wavers whether or not to support the Bongbong Marcos for the Vice Presidency as a way to ensure the continuity of his administration. Currently, the current administration has similar platforms to the Marcos administration in many ways. His independent foreign policy and populist economic approach to economic development have made him overwhelmingly popular. But if he goes out of line, it is possible that the country would be in chaos.
More than Just Politics or the Supreme Court
Robredo can only revive the arbitration court decision to instantly renew the country’s indifference with China, whichis favorable to the US. The issue of the five US military bases could be revived. They would seem like our best defense against China. Then the pro-Americans will use to discredit China over the disputes on some islands in the South China Sea. Although to the extreme the exploitation of natural gas and oil in the Reed Bank can go ahead without the prohibitions in the memorandumof agreement. Back to square one so to speak and getting only minimal benefits from our resources. If Robredo succeeds in her quest with the sponsorship of the US, all the plans of President will go nowhere. Du30 knows that she is the next leader who would allow the US’s dominance in the Philippines.
By: Elena Grace Flores
Supreme Court Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin recently appeals to the public. He says that he understands public perception that Bongbong Marcos’ electoral protest versus Leni Robredo seems to be dragging along. He reminds the people He reminds the people that the complaint is not just a simple protest. It has 3 courses of actions – which only one was dismissed. The manual recount is not the only aspect of the case which they have to be very careful about. He assures viewers that once decissions are made, they will be indisputable because they made sure that constitutional processes are followed.
YouTube video by Rappler [VIDEO]: PET to issue report soon on Marcos vs Robredo poll protest – Bersamin
Supreme Court CJ’s Promise
The Supreme Court that sits as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) will release a report “soon” on the initial recount. This is for the 3 provinces in the election protest filed by Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr against Leni Robredo, according to the Chief Justice.
Already Fast Given the Nature
Bersamin said this pace was already considered as “fast.” The process is slow in the public’s perception but you can consider our pace already fast. Even if there is a perception of delay, we are also doing our share from within.
Safeguarding the Credibility of the Processes
“I know the impatience of the public about this case of the Vice President being protested but we should also be careful of what we do here because the credibility of our processes as well as the political system here is at stake, so we are doing things slowly – but we are doing it with sufficient speed,” said Bersamin.
Breaking his Silence
The Supreme Court Chief Justice’s announcement serves as his report to the public on his short tenure. Bersamin is due to mandatorily retire on October 18 this year. He is certainly breaking his silence but his anticipated update on BBM’s protest would definitely make or break his legacy since the case garners great public interest.