Posted on Leave a comment

The Supreme Court En Banc Sets Martial Law Extension Petition Argument Next Week

Supreme Court
By: Elena Grace Flores

Solicitor General Jose Calida files his comment on the petition recently. He insists that rebellion still exists. “The issue of whether such rebellion persists must have the verification of the executive department. Then, the approval by the legislative department must follow. These are the two of the three co-equal branches of the government. The Supreme Court en banc sets the oral arguments of the petition against martial law extension on January 22 and 23. z

YouTube video byGMA Public Affairs

[VIDEO]: Kamakailan lamang ay muling ipinalawig ni Pangulong Duterte ang Batas Militar sa Mindanao hanggang Disyembre 2019. Ano-ano na nga ba ang naging epekto nang pagpapatupad nito noong nakaraang taon?

Martial Law Extension Resistance

Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice previously says that martial law extension reflects on the military’s performance and that this is not necessary for Mindanao. The Magnificent 7 lawmakers led by Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman earlier files the first petition. On top of that, another group of opposition lawmakers challenges the factual basis of President Rodrigo Du30’s third extension of martial law before the Supreme Court.

The Opposition Group’s Arguments

The lawmakers argue that the government fails to prove that this specific public safety requirement exists.” They said that Du30 requests for its extension with general terms instead of factual arguments. The President allegedly did not submit a more detailed report to support his administration’s statement of continuing rebellion in Mindanao. The members of Congress did not receive such document. They believe that the rebellious incidents do not endanger public safety. This a ground to impose martial law under the Constitution, they added.

The Anti-Martial Law Lawmakers

The Makabayan bloc is composed of House Representatives Carlos Isagani Zarate of Bayan Muna, Emmi De Jesus and Arlene Brosas of Gabriela, Ariel Casilao of Anakpawis, Antonio Tinio and France Castro of ACT Teachers and Sarah Jane Elago of Kabataan party list.

Defending the Country’s Sovereignty through the Supreme Court

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana assures the public that the military “will continue to uphold its mandate of defending the sovereignty of our state. Then, to retain the integrity of the country’s territory and protect the democratic way of life of our people. This with full respect for human rights, international humanitarian law and the primacy of the rule of law, of course.”

The Able Respondents

Named as respondents are President Rodrigo Du30, Congress of the Philippines represented by Senate President Vicente Sotto III and House Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, Jr., and Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde.

Posted on Leave a comment

Supreme Court CJ Succession is Like BBM Family’s What’s in the Box Game

supreme court
By: Elena Grace Flores

President Rodrigo Du30 in August said he follows the “seniority” tradition at the high court when he appointed Associate Justice Teresita de Castro as the top magistrate. This was after the ouster of Maria Lourdes Sereno, an appointee of his predecessor from the opposition. As of November 28, 2018, the Supreme Court Chief Justice position is currently held by Lucas Bersamin. He assumes the post after the mandatory retirement of the shortest CJ, Teresita Leonardo-De Castro in October 2018 after her appointment two months earlier. The Filipino leader might shock the public with his appointees but like BBM’s Family What’s in the Box Game, they are all in line with his intention to revive the golden age era following the unpopularized Marcos blueprint. Should this continue, Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta can be next. z

YouTube video byBongbong Marcos

[VIDEO]: Now that the boys are home, we’re taking time off to do some fun things at home.

Move Forward with Marcos

It is on record that Peralta said that the country should move forward as he stood firm on the decision of the Supreme Court (SC). This was in allowing the burial of the late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Heroes’ Cemetery. Despite protests from victims of human rights violations during his term, Peralta made the remark in response to the question of the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) during the public interview for Chief Justice aspirants on whether the decision has really put closure between the grieving family of Marcos and those injured during the martial law years.

Five Choices for Supreme Court CJ

Five names were included on the shortlist of chief justice aspirants drawn up by the Judicial and Bar Council. Bersamin was a regional trial court judge in 1986 and was appointed as an SC justice in April 2009. Among the list, Bersamin is the third most senior justice in terms of experience at the high court. Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, meanwhile, is the most senior justice in the SC where he is serving since 2001. Following him is Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta who was appointed to the SC in January 2009.

Good Friends

Peralta, meanwhile, said de Castro and his friend, Associate Justice Lucas Bersamin, are both of them are capable and competent to lead the Supreme Court. Peralta, a former Sandiganbayan presiding justice, was named to the High Court by former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Jan. 13, 2009. He served as Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 95 judge from 1994 to 2002. He will retire in March 2022 while Bersamin retires on October 2019.

BBM Family’s What’s in the Box Game

Now that the boys are home for the New Year holidays unlike the Christmas week, they take the time off to do some fun things at home. They take turns in guessing what’s in the box. Oftentimes, they are suspicious, scared, and shocked only to find a friendly item or creature. The same feelings when finding out the controversial Supreme Court CJ appointees of the President. For sure, they indeed have one common denominator.

Securing the Magistrate Post

If President Du30 is true to his words that he wants Bongbong Marcos to take his place, he would make sure to secure the Supreme Court Chief Justice post to be fair to him. Marcos’ VP electoral protest might take a long time. But in the end, the ruling can be influenced by the high court’s leadership.

Posted on Leave a comment

Imee Marcos blasts Anchor for Repeated Supreme Court Questions

Supreme Court
By: Elena Grace Flores

Ilocos Norte governor and 2019 candidate for Senator, Imee Marcos says her family’s wealth came from her father’s successful law practice. He had some investments in various industries as well. Gov. Marcos also clarifies the source of the $300-M Swiss bank accounts deposits that the Supreme Court ordered confiscated in 2003. She explains that it was still a legal question and called the achor “makulit” or annoying for asking the same questions over and over again. z

YouTube video byOne News PH

[VIDEO]:’No big mystery’

Vast Investments

One of the Chiefs’ hosts disputes Marcos that based on his father’s asset declaration during his time, his monthly income was only Php 120,000. Gov. Marcos shrugs this off saying that legal documentations are already in court and she is not surprised if there are some propaganda or politicking rumors that are used to jeopardize the real score. All she knows are his vast investments in telecommunication, mining, and many other industries.

Hard-Working Family

Even the anchor agrees that the Marcoses are notable hard workers. The Senatorial bet is proud of this. Perhaps, the ultimate reason why they never struggle in life financially. It would be unfair to give credit to the golden urban legend, she said. Leave the rumors with the legal experts, she added.

Repeated Questions

Softly and jokingly, Marcos calls the interviewer “makulit” (annoying) for asking repeated questions that are restructured to press for different answers from her. However, she remained calm and blasts the naughty one with a sarcastic joke. There might be some discussions about gold deposits but she has never seen one physical gold bar unlike her mother before her father became President.

Hardships after EDSA

The Marcos family never had any financial difficulties until EDSA. Marcos relays their bad experience when they were thrown to another unfamiliar country. It was hard enough not knowing anybody. Least not having their usual financial support and moral system.

Ask the Lawyers about the Supreme Court Ruling

Upon the insistence of the host regarding the 2003 Supreme Court ruling, Marcos blatantly advised him to ask the lawyers instead since there are some relating cases that are ongoing. Bongbong Marcos already answered them earlier but they want a different one. Well, unfortunately for them, they cannot get anything controversial from Imee Marcos. After all, she is a Marcos and possesses the intellect and charm of her father.

Posted on Leave a comment

Supreme Court Justice Carpio: China War Not an Option, Joint Exploration Okay but Change their Mindset

Supreme Court
By: Elena Grace Flores

Bongbong Marcos earlier said that the 2016 legal victory of the Philippines against China before a United Nations-backed arbitral tribunal. This invalidates Beijing’s expansive claim to the South China Sea creates tension with the powerful neighbor. Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio then clarifies that the joint exploration with China does not violate the constitution. This is because the Philippines is still in full control with the operation. What’s unconstitutional is the China war threat. Carpio suggests trying to change the mindset of the Chinese people that they do not own the South China Sea through international influence and social media. z
Youtube Video by News5Everywhere

[VIDEO]: Carpio: Kasunduan ng China at Pilipinas sa oil at gas development, walang nilabag na batas.

Change the Mindset

Carpio reiterates his call for a more vigorous campaign to change the mindset of the Chinese that the West Philippine Sea does not belong to China. He also said that there are bills pending in Congress that push for the declaration of portions of the West Philippine Sea as a marine sanctuary.

Call for Unity to Enforce Ruling

The Social Weather Stations releases results a month ago that shows 84 percent of Filipinos want the Du30 administration to do more against China’s intrusion in the West Philippine Sea. Carpio said that 84 percent can increase at the end of the year. “That is good because it is only when we are united can we get the ruling enforced,” he said

No Legal Basis for China’s Claim

He said the Philippine government should continue to assert its rights over the West Philippine Sea. It should do something to fortify the ruling given by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague in 2016 every year. The ruling states that China has no legal basis for its nine-dash line territorial claim.

Educating the Chinese People

He also said that Filipinos should take time understanding the issues. That way, they could better explain the country’s position to other nationalities. They have the mission to convince other countries of the Philippines’ position. This is in the hope that together they could convince the Chinese people that the West Philippine Sea does not belong to them.

Downside of the Supreme Court Justice’s Plea

The Supreme Court Justice knows that China will never accept the ruling. Not unless the Chinese people realize that their historical narrative 2000 years ago is false. Since grade school to college, they have been taught that they own the South China Sea. They really believe it because they were not taught other things,” he said. However, it seems vague how the Filipinos with the help of other nations can change the mindset of over 1.3 billion people. This can actually cause more tensions between the two countries.

Posted on 1 Comment

Imee Marcos Reveals Mom’s Candidacy Strategy as Supreme Court Processes her Case

Supreme Court
By: Elena Grace Flores

Candidate for Senator, Imee Marcos recently reveals that her mother, Imelda Marcos’ initial gubernatorial candidacy and withdrawal is actually in the plan. They know that it is ridiculous for her to seek another elective office considering her age. They just need more time to convince the younger family members to run for the position as outgoing Gov. Marcos vies for the national position. This strategy is actually well-thought of as the Supreme Court starts to process the former First Lady’s cases. z
Youtube Video by  Rappler

[VIDEO]: Imelda Marcos withdrawal from gubernatorial race planned from the start – Imee Marcos

Substitution Strategy

The fight for the post of Ilocos Norte governor goes down between a Rodolfo Fariñas and Matthew Marcos Manotoc, Imelda Marcos’ grandson. Farinas, who is Ilocos Norte 1st District representative runs for governor in his home province as a substitute for Jesus Arimboyutan under the PDP-Laban political party. The 67-year-old Fariñas faces Manotoc, Marcos’ grandson and son of incumbent Ilocos Norte Governor and senatorial candidate Imee Marcos.

Due Course for the Iron Butterfly

The Sandiganbayan 5th Division starts proceedings for the transmittal of records of graft cases of Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos. The anti-graft court said that they now prepare copies of the documents. The original records would be sent to the high court. The court also discloses that the notice of appeal that Marcos filed is “given due course.”

The Marcos Matriarch’s Request

In her notice of appeal, Marcos requests for the record transmission to the Supreme Court where she plans to challenge the Sandiganbayan decision. The Sandiganbayan convicts Marcos of 7 counts of graft last November 9. Her sentence of 6 to 11 years in jail for each count is pending as she is about to make an appeal to the high court.

Free on Bail

Rep. Marcos posts Php 300,000 bail as she appeals her conviction. Nonetheless, most mainstream media under the control of the opposition and their allies are quick enough to circulate massive negativity to malign her. Manotoc’s takeover neutralizes the black media propaganda. The move even made him look even much better.

Manotoc is Hot

It turns out that Manotoc is not only appealing to the millennials but also to all ages. Fariñas can’t stand a chance after his rudeness to the Ilocos 6. Now, it would be a big challenge for the Marcoses’ detractors to launch a character assassination stunt against the younger bet because it would be very obvious.