Posted on

Should Bongbong Marcos Get Involved with DSWD to Know Where Yolanda Funds Went?

funds





welcome By: Elena Grace Flores

Bongbong Marcos is greatly involved in the rehabilitation of Leyte after Super Typhoon Yolanda four years ago in his personal capacity as the cousin of Tacloban Mayor, Alfred Romualdez. Rejected Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo who insists that no billions of pesos worth of funds reached the department during her tenure has no replacement yet. She, however, shows her reluctance to work with Bongbong Marcos if ever he becomes a part of President Du30’s cabinet in an interview. Taguiwalo is a notable anti-Marcos as a leftist. It’s a different ball game now because if there was no Marcos before, there’s definitely no Taguiwalo now. Although the hope for Marcos’ return is still on the rise with the pending recount on his electoral protest against Leni Robredo.






Youtube video by; ABS-CBN News

[VIDEO]: Rejected Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Judy Taguiwalo said she is not sure what would happen if Senator Bongbong Marcos joins the cabinet of President-elect Rodrigo Du30.

 




Taguiwalo’s CA Rejection

Taguiwalo was the third Cabinet member rejected by the CA. The social activist-educator would remain the President’s friend. It is also unlikely that Vice President Leni Robredo can replace Taguiwal. Some netizens recommend this in an online survey. It is an uncomfortable scenario if the President allows that. She is known to oppose all the major moves of Du30 behind his back. Not during cabinet meetings.




The Government’s Commitment

The country commemorates the fourth anniversary of Super Typhoon Yolanda. Its international name is Haiyan. Malacañang reaffirms the government’s commitment to rebuilding communities affected by the disaster. This is amidst continued cries for shelter among victims. Palace spokesman Harry Roque assures the public that President Rodrigo Du30 would not turn his back on Yolanda victims. The Du30 administration learned from the past mistakes of the Aquino government when it comes to dealing with Yolanda’s devastation.

.



Yolanda’s Anniversary

Du30 visited Yolanda victims in Tacloban City last year. He openly expressed his frustration over the slow housing projects for the super typhoon survivors. The Chief Executive returned to Tacloban in January. he still complains that not all his expectations are met. This year, however, Du30 is not in the country during the Yolanda anniversary, November 8. He attends the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in Vietnam. This could be very handy for Bongbong Marcos if he is the Vice President.









Bongbong Marcos’ Passionate Hand Might be Needed

The National Housing Authority or NHA data shows that 205,128 houses are for construction. But only 11.4 percent are occupied. Only 33 percent is complete. Although they believe that the real figures are much lower. Roque said that the President backs moves to hold those who caused delays in housing projects accountable. This is for their apparent negligence. Bongbong Marcos has yet to comment on this. Perhaps, his involvement is needed here. Also, Senator Manny Pacquiao earlier suggested conducting a Senate probe where the big chunk of Yolanda funds went.




Palace: No replacement yet for Taguiwalo

4 years later, Yolanda victims still cry for shelter




Posted on

Filipinos are Grateful to Foreign Donors for Typhoon Yolanda Victims

welcome By: Elena Grace Flores

Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda [Image 2 of 14]
Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda [Image 2 of 14] (Photo credit: DVIDSHUB)

The Philippines can never recover quickly without the help of the international community after typhoon Yolanda devastated badly the Eastern part of the country  particularly in the Visayas region. Even the Vietnamese, Australians and more from the Americans are still coming in on top of the monetary donations, relief facilities, equipment and goods from many foreign countries with or without strong political ties. Truly, that a calamity can either unite or divide mankind. Here’s the good news:

PH receives ‘Yolanda’ aid from int’l community

By: Cristina Lee-Pisco

MORE than three decades after the Philippines opened its doors to Vietnamese refugees, the Vietnamese have returned the favor with a donation of more than P19 million to support reliefefforts for victims of typhoon Yolanda. http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php/news/national/63114-ph-receives-yolanda-aid-from-intl-community


Sightings of the “Not For Sale” ready-to-eat meal packages from the U.S. were reported and allegedly being sold in few public markets in Manila. It’s still a mystery how they got there – but the government has vowed to investigate this. Hope that this will not discourage international people from donating some more. Perhaps, proper logistics must be implemented to make sure that the aids meant for the survivors will be delivered to them accordingly.

Web Design by:  Miracquel Puelong

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted on

Funeral as a Social Event in the Philippines


welcome

By: Elena Grace Flores

The bodies of the dead lie awaiting burial in ...
The bodies of the dead lie awaiting burial in a mass grave at the camp. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I just recently attended the wake of the mother of our Baranggay Chairman – and this is where you can find nicely arranged flowers, dignified people and lots of refreshments. You can also meet a long lost acquaintance in funeral by chance if you are a native of the place or active in social gatherings. That’s why my heart goes with the victims of typhoon Yolanda. No proper burial nor identification. Read this:

Globe in the Philippines: Funeral efforts marred by decay

By: NATHAN VANDERKLIPPE

As the truck lumbers past the rubble-strewn remains of Tacloban City, onlookers pull shirts over their faces and use fingers to plug their noses. The truck is laden with death, 34 people killed by Typhoon Haiyan. Their decay, after five days in the heat and humidity, creates a stench that blankets the street as the truck passes by. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/rebel-attack-disrupts-mass-burial-effort-in-typhoon-ravaged-city/article15409537/



I initiated a call to the Secretary of National Defense through Facebook to help NBI do the military protocol for the casualties. This may be too late because most bodies are already dumped into the mass graves without knowing who they are – which will really give a hard time for the survivors to get over in mourning the death of their loved ones. However, I hope and pray that this will serve as a lesson for all – and the very reason why I documented this!


Web Design by:  Miracquel Puelong

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted on

The Planners and Decission Makers after a Disaster


welcome

By: Elena Grace Flores

US Navy 080627-N-0640K-578 Service members ass...
US Navy 080627-N-0640K-578 Service members assigned to the Philippine Army load an SH-60 Seahawk assigned to the (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Philippines is now becoming a calamity-prone country – after series of devastation just happened recently. For sure, like any other governments, the Philippine government also has a comprehensive plan like this one from the United Kingdom for disaster response:

Emergency planning and preparedness: exercises and training

By: www.gov.uk

The government aims to ensure all organisations are fully prepared for all types of emergencies.

Integral to that is the practising and testing of all the elements of emergency plans. This guide outlines what we mean by exercising, describes different types of exercise, and outlines the exercising which takes place at all levels of government. https://www.gov.uk/emergency-planning-and-preparedness-exercises-and-training



Based on the performance of the government after super typhoon Yolanda, all government agencies are working hard to the brink of breaking down – but the efforts were not felt by many. Why? The devastation was just too much to handle without proper equipment, manpower and strategy. The actions done did not come from an intelligent panel of planners – because they move without thinking in tackling the disaster aftermath. Lots of donations arrive but they are easily hindered by obstructions because they do not have powerful vehicles. Time is of the essence and further delay means lost of lives! Can this be tolerated by Filipinos?


Web Design by:  Miracquel Puelong
 

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted on

Violence Amidst Hunger


welcome
By: Elena Grace Flores

English: Tropical Storm Haiyan on October 5, 2007.

I was in a state of shock hearing the news from a taxi driver that Tacloban was devastated with lots of dead bodies in the streets because of super typhoon, Yolanda. I immediately called my contact in Cebu and she confirmed. The estimate casualties at that time was only 100 – and I thought that the count was too low for the reported violence happening there. One thing, we did not organize a personal visit mission because even people bringing relief goods are being attacked – until at this very time of writing. I did not know what to say when my sister called me inquiring where she will send her donations. Read this devastating story:

 

Typhoon Haiyan: Thousands feared dead in Philippines

By: http://www.bbc.co.uk

Around 10,000 people may have died in just one area of the Philippines hit by Typhoon Haiyan, according to officials.One of the worst storms on record, it destroyed homes, schools and an airport in the eastern city of Tacloban.Neighbouring Samar island was also badly affected, with reports of 300 people dead and 2,000 missing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24887337



I remember the science fiction stories that I heard from teenagers at home – that soon, the earth will be filled with zombies. The Tacloban tragedy proved to show that when people are hungry and desperate, these unbelievable stories can happen. May God bless the people of Leyte!


 

Enhanced by Zemanta